Search

Monday, September 26, 2016

Yotam Ottolenghi's Grilled Banana Bread with Tahini and Honeycomb

Well, I dearly love banana bread, especially the rich, moist kind usually made with sour cream and lots of oil and butter. Living in the South has tainted me; I like my breads to be super moist, almost resembling a freshly baked cake.  After sitting on it for a day or two I have had to backtrack and put it out there now that I can certainly appreciate this yummy recipe from Yotam's cookbook, Plenty More. This is NOT your Southern banana bread, baby! Yet, it is amazing in a whole new way. My eyes have been opened and I now realize that my former tastes may have been superseded by this new more "mature" take on one of my favorites. Yotam's recipe resembles a standard banana bread, until you realize that you are adding TWO cups of chopped pecans! Beware, you must really like a nutty bread to enjoy this one! He adds the usual ripe bananas, brown sugar, eggs, milk, sunflower oil, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Not too unusual, you muse. All seems normal until the bread is cooked and you go to unload it from the baking pan. I use the word "unload" because it is at least ten pounds and you are thinking that something this dense must be awful in some sense. I couldn't wait to cut into it to see why in the heck it was so heavy. It must be dry, was my first thought. All I can say now is that it must be all the nuts. This is truly a nutty treasure that any nut loving squirrel would like. Yotam serves his toasted with tahini (sesame paste) drizzled on top and then a chunk of honeycomb and a dash of coarse sea salt to adorn the top. We tried this and, albeit delicious, our preference was to toast the bread and slather some really good butter on it and have it with tea or coffee in the morning. Anyone who likes peanut butter would enjoy the tahini paste (normally used for hummus and other savory sauces and dips) as it is the "new peanut butter" and probably really good for you considering it is nothing but ground sesame seeds. Wow wow wow! I could eat this all day long! Unfortunately, not everyone likes nuts so you have to be discriminating when serving this dish. Bon appetit!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment