Search

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Yotam Ottolenghi Vegetarian Dinner for Ruth's Birthday

Our son's girlfriend, Ruth, is vegetarian and a fabulous cook. Although I use to be vegetarian myself for about seven years, I find that most really good vegetarian recipes "for company" require a lot of prep time. Tonight I did something I don't usually do when I have folks coming over for dinnner....I made four new dishes...all from Yotam's Plenty More Cookbook. Surprisingly, they were all relatively simple and required a reasonable number of ingredients, unlike many of his other recipes I have tried in the past.

For starters we had Zucchini Baba Ghanoush, a take off of the usual eggplant dish. Served as a spread to accompany fresh olive bread it was a hit.  The smokiness imparted into the zucchini by broiling it in the oven ramped up the flavor. A hint of spiciness from red pepper flakes and a cool yogurt sauce on top was a real winner. I still think I prefer the eggplant version of this dish better, but it was fun to put a new spin on one of my favorites.

We then proceeded to a lovely Fig Salad with a nice balsamic dressing drizzled over it. Since late summer and early fall are peak time for figs I enjoyed having them while they are so fresh. Paired with several greens, radicchio, basil and watercress, the sweetness of the figs and the balsamic vinegar really played well off of one another. The addition of warm roasted red onions was a game winner and the toasted hazelnuts imparted a nice crunch.

For the main entree we had Baked Orzo With Mozzarella And Oregano, all made with fresh local tomatoes and herbs. While I often find most vegetarian entrees to be filling only when consumed in bulk, this dish proved satisfying in every way. A nice filling meal full of eggplant, carrots, onions, tomatoes, orzo and fresh herbs we all were stuffed after eating a modest size serving. Very flavorful and the smooth mozzarella really held everything together in a nice way.

The grand finale.....Bitter Frozen Berries With White Chocolate Cream.  YUM! Super simple and super yummy. An easy white chocolate ganache topped with tangy berries doused in a bit of Angostura bitters and confectioners' sugar, served alongside a biscotti was absolutely delicious. Light and creamy, beautiful presentation, and did I mention chocolate? What's not to love?!

https://ca.hellomagazine.com/cuisine/02015021913683/bitter-frozen-berries-with-white-chocolate-cream

Happy birthday to my son's sweet sweet girlfriend and may you have many more! You inspire me to cook every day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment