Search

Monday, September 5, 2016

Cooks Illustrated All Time Best Recipes Challenge - Best Marinara Sauce

Now that we are empty nesters I find that I have even more time to cook and am thoroughly enjoying it.  No more "When is dinner going to be ready" as soon as I walk in the door. No more "Cooking in bulk to feed hungry boys". Now begins the true growth of exploring new ways to cook. In order to get my creative juices going I have begun the task of cooking my way through the Cooks Illustrated Best Recipes Annual Cookbook 2012 (I just grabbed it off the shelf the other day). Tonight's dinner was super simple and quite nice. Fresh Marinara Sauce with chopped fresh basil. Using canned tomatoes was a surprise. A dash of red wine gave it some depth. Fresh basil made it taste very clean and fresh. Served over spaghetti with a simple salad and we were quite satisfied. The author attempts to make a complex sauce in a reasonable period of time. I would say he accomplished what he set out to do. No complaints here. This will become a staple for busy nights when we need something warm and robust. Bon appetit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment