Search

Monday, September 5, 2016

Cooks Illustrated Chicken Enchiladas with Chili Sauce

Next on the list of cooking my way through the CI 2012 All Time Best Recipes was the chicken enchiladas with chili sauce. The author strove to make authentic chicken enchiladas without too much work. Could it be done? Well, suffice it to say my husband told me this was one of the best enchilada recipes he had ever had. Bingo! Done! That's all you have to say, honey.

One thing I love about Cook's Illustrated is their well thought out process for analyzing every ingredient. This recipe is no exception. They found corn tortillas to be superior in flavor and texture to flour tortillas, suggesting that they be sprayed with a little cooking oil and warmed in an oven to make them pliable for rolling. Next they addressed the chiles which can be hard to find in many places (I do know this from past experience). Their solution...chili powder heated in oil to intensify the flavor. Finally, a bit of sugar and lime juice to unify the other spices. Following their instructions I used boneless chicken thighs and sharp white cheddar to top it all off with and the results were wonderful. Everyone raved. The final product is topped with extra sharp cheddar (or Monterey Jack if you prefer a milder finish), sour cream, romaine and avocado.  I am wondering how soon I can make these again. Only one word of caution...they are a bit spicy.


No comments:

Post a Comment