Search

Monday, September 5, 2016

Cooks Illustrated 2012 Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie

I had a chance to go visit my son in college this weekend for the first time since he left home. What mother can show up on such a momentous occasion and NOT bring homemade cookies? So they HAD to be awesome. Once again, CI All Time Best Recipes 2012 to the rescue with a totally deconstructed Toll House Cookie recipe for adults. This author cracks me up (and he must have had a blast taste testing all those cookies along the way!). His article says he produced over 700 cookies until he decided he had found the ultimate remake of the traditional Toll House Cookie recipe which was first released in 1939 when Nestle began printing the recipe on the back of their packages of chocolate chips. (Sorry, Nestle, I used Ghiradelli Chocolate). In his estimation the ideal cookie must be moist and chewy on the inside, crisp at the edges, have deep notes of toffee and butterscotch to balance the sweetness and be complex in taste. Did he achieve this? I believe he did. His thoughtful banter as he deconstructed the original Toll House Cookie recipe made my mouth water. From his examination of the flour used, to how to incorporate the fat (butter), to add the additional element of the toffee taste all while addressing the texture required a chemistry refresher, but so well worth the effort. It is definitely worth reading his attempts as you can appreciate every single thing he did while eating the final product. I don't even think this recipe is much harder than the original recipe, but it helps if you understand why you do every single step. They were so good that I came home the next day and made another batch for friends. They couldn't quit raving about them. In particular, the added toffee taste adds a rich depth to the final product that you can't help but notice. I can tell you I will never make traditional Toll House Cookies ever again. I have been spoiled now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment