Search

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Valentines Love....French Style Pot Roasted Pork

Well, another snowstorm predicted for tonight so looks like I am going to be staying in and cooking for my Valentines. Not a problem since I have eaten myself silly this week. I've had company in all week and I've been eating out a lot and consuming a lot of rich food. I am a little out of my routine and ready for some home cooked food. No arguments from the guys here....

While trying to find something to make with a pork tenderloin I had in the refrigerator I came across this recipe in the 2014 Cook's Illustrated All Time Best Recipes for French Style Pot Roasted Pork. Warm French food...sounds perfect for a cold, snowy winter night. Christopher Kimball, you inspire me! My dream job is to work in the CI kitchen. For those of you who are not acquainted with Chris or CI I compare it with the Consumer Reports of fine cuisine. Coming from a scientific background, I enjoy Christopher's breakdowns of the problems of making a particular dish and all the attempts to right the wrongs he encounters along the way. If you really want to learn HOW to cook, this is the way to do it, I am convinced.

With this recipe Christopher points out the concerns of a typically lean cut of meat emerging dried out and tasteless.  By his own account Christopher acknowledges that French cuisine is known for its many dishes that feature "a lackluster cut of meat turned sumptuous and flavorful by surprisingly simple cooking methods." This recipe for enchaud Perigourdine is so simple and consists of seasoning a pork tenderloin with salt and pepper, searing it in a Dutch oven, slow cooking it in the oven and finally making an au jus from the drippings. To address the issues associated with the leaner American cut of meat Christopher suggests searing all sides of the meat except the bottom, which is then laid in the Dutch oven bottom side down. This keeps the meat from drying out as it cooks from the bottom. Double butterflying the meat and rubbing it with salt, pepper, sugar and carmelized garlic impart a lot of flavor throughout the meat as it slowly cooks. Finally, sprinkling the roast with herbs de Provence adds a depth of flavors that pulls it all together. Adding a bit of butter, white wine, a diced Granny Smith apple and onion to the au jus are the proverbial icing on the cake.

Thanks, as always, Christopher, for doing all the hard work for me and making my job so easy! Bon appetit to all my friends and family who love the food as much as I do. Happy Valentines Day to all those I love.  Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!









No comments:

Post a Comment