Search

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Soup!




One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving is the leftovers!  And my very favorite thing.....SOUP!  Everyone always asks me how I make the soup.  Well, here you go, my friends.  It is a two day process usually.  So here is the "fun" part.  Day 1...take the bones from the meat and roast them in the oven, 350 degrees for an hour or so.  Pull them out and then put them and all the drippings in a stockpot.  Add extra broth as needed.  Simmer on low heat for several hours.  Now comes the REALLY fun part!  Strain all the broth to filter out the junk floating in the broth.  This may take a while.  Use a fat separator to remove all the fat.  Now the hard part is done!  You can freeze the stock for later use or make a lot of soup and then freeze it (which is what I usually do).  Either way, you can't beat fresh made broth.  I never throw away any kind of bones.  If you can't get to it right away, just wrap them up and put them in the freezer until you can.  In a few days I plan to take the ham bone and make more soup. Since we have sore throats today it will be just the thing....In the meantime, ham tetrazzini and pumpkin pie a la mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment