Search

Saturday, February 13, 2021

Barbar Kafka - Soup

 To say that I would have snubbed my nose at this amazing woman who's penchant for taking microwave cooking to new heights wouldn't even begin to show how very uneducated I am in my forever young culinary quest. Some things are just too "mainstream" to actually be considered culinary, aren't they? Microwaves are for heating up your cold tea, melting butter in a pinch, NOT for making four course meals. I dare say my cooking trials will be long forgotten before I have to resort to the use of the microwave as an actual cooking tool once I am too old to be able to cognitively prepare a meal for my family or myself. Barbara, you were ahead of your time and I will just have to ride your coattails and feel the wind on my face. I do own one of her cookbooks, Soup, A Way of Life, and anyone who knows me knows how much I adore soup. Over the holidays I ventured into the book which has been staring me down for two years now on the shelf. Trying to prepare a vegetarian meal for my daughter in law I turned to Barbara's Minestrone. I've made a million Minestrones in my life, and no two are ever the same, but this one has a lovely twist...pesto! I've made the soup twice now and have found that using up the veges in the fridge is a great way to make this soup. The only thing I keep the same is the basil pesto. Bon appetit!


1/2 cup olive oil + 3 T

1 medium onion, 1/4" dice

3 medium carrots, 1/4" dice

2 ribs celery, 1/4" dice

1/2 lb potatoes, 1/4" dice

2/3 lb white cabbage,  1/4" dice

2 medium yellow squash, 1/4" dice

1/2 lb Swiss chard, leaves cut into narrow strips

1 small bunch of spinach cut into narrow strips

6 medium cloves of garlic, smashed, peeled and coarsley chopped

1 cup coarsely chopped Italian plum tomatoes

Rind from a piece of Parmesan cheese

2 medium bunches of basil

1 cup cooked orzo

2 T salt

Fresh ground pepper to taste

Freshly grated Parmesan for serving


In a medium saucepan cook 1/2 cup olive oil and onions over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add carrots, celery and potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the cabbage, squash and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the greens, 1/2 the garlic, the tomatoes, 5 cups of water; add the cheese rind. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until all the veges are tender. 

Meanwhile, to make the pesto, in a food processor, coarsely puree the basil. Add the remaining garlic and olive oil and puree. Continue to blend until smooth.

Remove the cheese rind from the soup and stir in the orzo just before serving. Heat through. Stir in 1/4 cup of the pesto. Season with salt and pepper. 

If the soup is being reheated add a bit of water to avoid sticking. Serve with grated Paremesan and remaining pesto at the table.


https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/05/obituaries/barbara-kafka-cookbook-author-and-food-writer-dies-at-84.html




No comments:

Post a Comment