Search

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Popcorn for Dinner

Here in the South (yes, Capital "S") we occasionally serve "Breakfast" for "Dinner". As children we always anticipated "Pancake Night". In my household we sometimes have "Backwards Night" where we have dessert first, followed by the main meal. This would usually be on special occasions such as birthdays, etc. Needless to say, the boys LOVED it! I'm sure I started this when the children were young and fussy and wanted the instant gratification the dessert would bring. Now that the kids are gone Kevin and I find ourselves sometimes too full from a big lunch to want much dinner. Solution?....."Popcorn night". Beer and Anson Mills Popcorn filled the bill tonight. Having had a large lunch today we just wanted a little something to tide us over until morning. I have been eyeballing the Anson Mills Popcorn I bought and put into the freezer several months ago and thought it would be the perfect remedy. This Appalachian heirloom grain is delicious! I have never been one for microwave commercial popcorn that is dull and tasteless. Move over Orville Redenbacher! Never again! Anson Mills says that this is the last corn they plant and harvest. This is the same grain that was grown in this area thousands of years ago and toasted in hot sand until the kernels popped. Wow! I will have to try this cooking method.

"Breakfast Night", "Backwards Night" and now "Popcorn Night"...Love the family traditions, and creating new memories. Thanks again, Anson Mills! Bon appetit.




No comments:

Post a Comment