Search

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Spicy Chicken with Black Bean Puree

Recipe #14 this year was from the Oh My Stars cookbook, the Junior League of Roanoke 2000 cookbook that I was on the committee to put together back in the day. I just needed a break from the Mediterranean fare and decided to try something different. Having just returned from Austin, Texas where the Mexican food is amazing I decided to prepare this lovely dish. It did not disappoint. Note that it is spicy (but more of a cumin kind of spicy and not overwhelming), super moist and flavorful. Bon appetit!

Chicken:
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp fajita seasoning (I made my own by simply Googling it; super easy)
1 tsp olive oil

 Black Bean Puree:
15 oz. can black beans
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 minced cloves of garlic
10 oz can tomatoes with green chilies (You can use any kind of canned tomato as you are going to blend it. Also, I had to add the chilies separately as I did not have the tomatoes that come with it already)
2 Tbs chopped cilantro
1 Tbs lime juice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground red pepper


Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (I used Mexican mixed cheese)

Rub the chicken with the fajita seasoning. Brown in the heated olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat fodr 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Remove from the pan and keep warm on a platter, covered.

Drain the beans, reserving 2 Tbs of the liquid. Rinse the beans.
Add the onion and the garlic to the drippings from the chicken and saute until tender. Combine with the beans, reserved bean liquid, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, cumin and red pepper in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Spoon the mixture into a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until heated through. Sprinkle with the cheese and serve with the chicken.

Serves two.

No pictures...sorry.  Since when have refried beans ever been pretty? You will just have to trust me on this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment