Search

Sunday, November 27, 2016

Holiday afterglow...Thanksgiving 2016

The house is quiet today for the first time this week as everyone has to go their separate ways to do things. As I enjoy a jazzed up java (decaf, of course) with Baileys, Kahlua and Frangelico topped off with a dollop of fresh whipped cream (YUM!) I am relishing the time to get myself organized and cook a well thought out meal for the family tonight. No more turkey here. Although we always enjoy the leftovers, we only eat the Thanksgiving meal once a year and that does it for us until the next year. Tonight is on to more Middle Eastern fare, one of my favorites. With a vegetarian "girlfriend in law" thrown into the mix, I get inspired to pull out the "Yotam Ottolenghi" Bible and try new recipes. Living with three carnivores I have to have some meat in there. Tonight's menu:

Homemade hummus from dried chickpeas
Basmati and wild rice with chickpeas, currants and herbs
Barley risotto with marinated feta
Flank Steak
Salad

HUMUS...often the precursor to many political and nationalistic discussions about the true origins, Jewish? Egyptian? I dare say the hummus wars may be more volatile than some of our current political discussions! Even when the argument of authorship is set aside, the more contemporary question is who makes the best hummus now.  I am on a quest this winter to not only study more about the Middle Eastern spices and cooking methods, but also to learn how to make the best hummus. Tonight is my first attempt to lay that foundation. Yotam never steers me wrong, so here is where I begin my new journey. The basic hummus recipe from dried chickpeas (those canned things creep me out!)......appears to have lots of tahini unlike previous recipes I have made, a reasonable amount of garlic (most recipes seem to be overpowering in that department, and coming from a garlic lover I find that quite odd) and little else. His recipe does call for baking soda which I have never used. I will be anxious to see if it impacts the texture of the finished product. He also uses ice water. This shall be interesting....
...Results....amazing! VERY creamy texture, good amount of tahini, not overpoweringly garlicy...next adventure, flavored humus. Stay tuned....





BASMATI AND WILD RICE WITH CHICKPEAS, CURRANTS AND HERBS....I have made this lovely dish before upon my return from Israel where there were so many fresh, amazing salads available at all times of the day. A combination of two rices, spices, chickpeas, currants (I substituted 1/2 dates and 1/2 sour cherries), and very thinly sliced fresh french fried onions. Delicious, aromatic, substantial and lovely. A home run that makes me yearn to go back to Isreal.



BARLEY RISOTTO WITH MARINATED FETA...I am currently fascinated with all kinds of new grains, rices, lentils, etc. and decided to try a new recipe with "risotto" which I traditionally think of as being a more Italian fare. Yotam professes that although "proper Italian risotto requires exact precision and meticulous preparation" this recipe is more forgiving. Having made risotto (the Italian way) before, I am intrigued. Actually, Yotam uses barley instead of risotto. I have only used barley in soups, salads, etc. so the comparison will be interesting. Either way, it should be good for us and it looks and smells amazing...



FLANK STEAK....a tradition in our home. Marinated overnight in a mixture of oil, garlic, ginger, red wine, soy sauce and grilled this is an easy staple I often serve for company. One of everyone's favorites and a nice change from Tom Turkey!  







Bon appetit. Love the holidays..........

All recipes from Yotam Ottolenghi's Jerusalem 


No comments:

Post a Comment