Search

Saturday, April 4, 2020

Julia Child's Chicken Pot Pie

I've made this recipe before evidently, but I don't remember doing so and I am going to count this as 2020 recipe #22. Full disclosure....Corona Virus has us sequestered so I had to make some substituttions. For one, I didn't make the crust (shocking, I know) AND I only did a bottom crust (It's all I had), BUT it was delicious. I used some awesome mushrooms sauteed in truffle oil and sage, leeks, small cut up new potatoes, peas....kind of just using up whatever was in the fridge. That's what we do during a pandemic. Suffice it to say it was delicious and I will probably never kill myself again in the future going to all the trouble of making the crust, etc. (Well, MAYBE). This is now a great "clean out the fridge" recipe and my thoughts of future ingredients have my mind swimming. I started out with a very organic whole chicken, slowly simmered and shredded. Then I sauteeed the leeks, then the mushrooms. I used frozen peas (we ARE in a lock down) and just made sure to treat each ingredient as if it needed to stand alone (kind of like when I make chicken soup).  My roux was a little thick, but still tasted delicious. Don't leave out the wine!!!! I followed Julia's instructions for the white wine blanquette sauce and just popped it in the oven for about 50 minutes on 350 degrees (pie shells precooked). Lovely French yumminess in a store bought pie shell. Delicious! Bon appetit!!!!!

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/7378-chicken-tarragon-pot-pie?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur



No comments:

Post a Comment